Social Security Disability Advocate's Handbook
Select a format
Select subscription type
Terms & conditions
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked "CANCEL".
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
REVISION 16 HIGHLIGHTS
This 16th revision of Social Security Disability Advocate’s Handbook introduces co-author David Ferrari—who has represented more than 1,133 claimants at Social Security Administration disability hearings in 46 states and D.C. during his career—joining long-time author David Traver in updating the work to reflect the extensive changes made to streamline the Process Unification Rulings, and to Social Security disability rules and case law.
NEW AND UPDATED FORMS
- §104.1a Form for Notice of 404.1512(a) Medical Records not Submitted Five Business
Days Before the Hearing
- §1510.2.3 Sample Vocational Report Regarding U.S. Publishing Data
NEW AND UPDATED TEXT
- §101.1 Changes Keep Coming. Discussion regarding updates to and applicability of the
Process Unification Rulings in light of rescinded SSRs. [NEW]
- §104.1 Practice Tip. Discussion on regulations concerning submission of all evidence and
time to submit evidence in support of claims.
- §104.11 Commandments in SSR 16-3p [NEW]
- §104.12 Commandments in SSR 17-2p [NEW]
- §206.3 Kisor v. Wilkie. Discussion of the possible impact of the Supreme Court’s
decision concerning Federal Circuit interpretations of ambiguous language in regulations
and the limitations the Kisor decision imposes on the Auer v. Robbins deference
- §208.7 Smith v. Berryhill and filings to the Appeals Council. Discussion on the impact of
the Supreme Court’s decision concerning the timeliness of appeals. [NEW]
- §208.8 Lucia v. SEC and obtaining remands from the Appeals Council or Federal District
Court. Discussion of the Lucia decision and resulting SSR 19-1p in which the SSA
acquiesced that all cases decided by ALJs before July 16, 2018 and are pending before
the Appeals Council are subject to a new hearing with a new ALJ. [NEW]
- §210.8 National or Regional Cost of Living. Discussion on cost of living calculations in
applications for the EAJA fee. [NEW]
- §212.2 Culbertson v. Berryhill. Discussion of the impact of the Supreme Court’s decision
concerning reasonable fees for representing SSA disability cases. [NEW]
- Recent SSRs [NEW]. Discussion on new SSRs of note.
- o §303.1 SSR 16-1p Titles II and XVI: Fraud and Similar Fault Redeterminations
Under Sections 205(u) and 1631(e)(7) of the Social Security Act
- o §303.2 SSR 16-4p Titles II and XVI: Using Genetic Tests to Evaluate Disability
- o §303.3 SSR 17-1p Titles II and XVI: Reopening Based on Error on the Face of the
Evidence – Effect of a Decision By the Supreme Court of the United States Finding
a Law That We Applied to Be Unconstitutional
- o §303.4 SSR 17-3p Titles II and XVI: Evaluating Cases Involving Sickle Cell Disease
- o §303.5 SSR 19-3p Titles II and XVI: Requesting Reconsideration or Hearing by an
Administrative Law Judge
- o §303.6 SSR 19-4p Titles II and XVI: Evaluating Cases Involving Primary Headache
- §500.2 Who is a Medical Source? Discussion on acceptable medical sources (AMS).
- §514 The Agency’s Duty to Develop the Record, Per SSR 17-4p. Discussion on
regulation changes effective March 27, 2017 that reduced the Agency’s obligation to
develop the record.
- §515 82 FR 15263, New Regulations. Exploration of the impact of 82 FR 15263 (which
went into effect March 27, 2017) and its effect on SSRs. [NEW]
- §§607-608.1. Discussion on rescinded SSR 96-4p.
- §908.1 Few Cases Address SSR 17-2p. Exploration of cases that apply SSR 17-2p. [NEW]
- §1000 Purpose of SSR 16-3p Versus Rescinded SSR 96-7p. [NEW]
- §Obesity. Discussion of rescinded SSR 02-1p and its replacement SSR 19-2p. [NEW]
- §1302.1 Chavez v. Berryhill. Exploration of circuit court decision and interesting
discussion on the unreliability of vocational expert testimony concerning analysis of job
numbers using the equal distribution method. [NEW]
- §1911 Biestek v. Berryhill. Discussion on Supreme Court decision that no categorical
rule requires a vocational expert to provide copies of her paperwork used to present job
numbers in order for her opinion to be substantial evidence that supports an
unfavorable decision. [NEW]
Additional forms materials are available from James Publishing; access to those materials can be requested directly from James by following guidelines provided within the eBook or emailing email@example.com.
eBooks, CDs, downloadable content, and software purchases are noncancelable, nonrefundable and nonreturnable. Click here for more information about LexisNexis eBooks. The eBook versions of this title may feature links to Lexis+™ for further legal research options. A valid subscription to Lexis+™ is required to access this content.
Table of contents
- Chapter One: Introduction
- Chapter Two: Standards of Review and Federal Court Remedies
- Chapter Three: Topical and Sequential Evaluation Outlines
- Chapter Four: SSR 96-1p: Application by the Social Security Administration (SSA) of Federal Circuit Court and District Court Decisions
- Chapter Five: SSR 96-2p: Giving Controlling Weight to Treating Source Medical Opinions
- Chapter Six: SSR 96-3p: Considering Allegations of Pain and Other Symptoms in Determining Whether a Medically Determinable Impairment Is Severe
- Chapter Seven: SSR 96-4p: Symptoms, Medically Determinable Physical and Mental Impairments, and Exertional and Nonexertional Limitations
- Chapter Eight: SSR 96-5p: Medical Source Opinions on Issues Reserved to the Commissioner
- Chapter Nine: SSR 96-6p: Consideration of Administrative Findings of Fact by State Agency Medical and Psychological Consultants and Other Program Physicians and Psychologists at the Administrative Law Judge and Appeals Council Levels of Administrative Review; Medical Equivalence
- Chapter Ten: SSR 96-7p: Evaluation of Symptoms in Disability Claims: Assessing the Credibility of an Individual’s Statements
- Chapter Eleven: SSR 96-8p: Assessing Residual Functional Capacity in Initial Claims
- Chapter Twelve: SSR 96-9p: Determining Capability to Do Other Work—Implications of a Residual Functional Capacity for Less Than a Full Range of Sedentary Work
- Chapter Thirteen: The Role of Reliable Vocational Information at the Social Security Administration
- Chapter Fourteen: The Dictionary of Occupational Titles, Structure, History, Reliability, and Validity
- Chapter Fifteen: Other Sources of Vocational Data
- Chapter Sixteen: Vocational Information and Analysis at Step Four of the Sequential Evaluation Process
- Chapter Seventeen: Vocational Evidence at Step Five of the Sequential Evaluation Process
- Chapter Eighteen: Transferability of Skills Analysis
- Chapter Nineteen: Attacking Vocational Expert Testimony
- Chapter Twenty: Vocational Expert Testimony on the Number of Jobs Available at Step Five
- Index to Rulings
- Index to Book
New!PreorderMaryland School Law Deskbook & Maryland School Laws and Regulations Annotated SetNew!Estimated: December 05, 2023$161.00
New!PreorderBender's Payroll Tax GuideNew!Estimated: December 22, 2023$790.00
New!PreorderParker's California Probate CodeNew!Estimated: December 14, 2023$143.00