LexisNexis Practice Guide: Washington Pretrial Civil Procedure
Select a format
This publication provides practical, step-by-step guidance on all phases of pretrial civil procedure in Washington state superior courts for all attorneys engaged in civil litigation.
Key features and benefits:
• Practice guidance and tips from Washington practitioners -- user benefits from "real world" practical experience, tailored specifically to practice in the Washington state courts.
• Coverage of local superior court rules -- many of the practical details of pretrial procedure are governed by local rules that vary from county to county; user is alerted to potential local variations in practice at every step.
• Dozens of forms, including complaints, answers, motions, orders, and declarations -- saves hours of drafting time.
• Provides guidance on current practical issues in pretrial procedure, including such topics as:
• All type of motions.
• Practice issues surrounding Rule 11 sanctions.
• Detailed form contents, adhering to CR and GR requirements.
• Affidavit of prejudice and other commonly used forms.
LexisNexis Practice Guide: Washington Pretrial Civil Procedure was created under the guidance of Editorial Consultants Judge Paris Kallas (King County Superior Court, retired) of Judicial Dispute Resolution LLC, and Katie O'Sullivan, partner in the Seattle office of Perkins Coie LLP, providing the benefit of years of practical experience with civil litigation in the Washington state courts. Additional Washington practitioners reviewed individual chapters and provided practice tips and guidance.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Commencing the Action
Chapter 2 Parties and Capacity
Chapter 3 Personal Jurisdiction
Chapter 4 Subject Matter Jurisdiction
Chapter 5 Forum and Venue
Chapter 6 Complaints
Chapter 7 Serving Summons and Complaint
Chapter 8 Statutes of Limitation
Chapter 9 Appearance and Default
Chapter 10 Answers
Chapter 11 Defenses
Chapter 12 Counterclaims and Cross-Claims
Chapter 13 Amended and Supplemental Pleadings
Chapter 14 Service of Papers
Chapter 15 Date of Trial and Judge Assignment
Chapter 16 Jury Demand
Chapter 17 Motion Practice
Chapter 18 Disqualifying the Judge
Chapter 19 Class Actions
Chapter 20 Derivative Actions
Chapter 21 Removal to Federal Court
Chapter 22 Temporary Restraining Orders and Preliminary Injunctions
Chapter 23 Case Management and Pretrial Conference
Chapter 24 Reference to Referee
Chapter 25 Stipulations
Chapter 26 Attachment
Chapter 27 Continuances and Stays
Chapter 28 Consolidation, Severance, and Separate Trial
Chapter 29 Sanctions
Chapter 30 Motions to Reconsider
Chapter 31 Mandatory and Contractual Arbitration
Chapter 32 ADR, Settlement, and Release
Chapter 33 Summary Judgment
Chapter 34 Declaratory Judgment
Chapter 35 Voluntary and Involuntary Dismissal
Table of Cases
Table of Statutes