Federal Income Taxation of Life Insurance Companies
Select a format
Federal Income Taxation of Life Insurance Companies provides comprehensive analysis of the special tax provisions that apply to life insurance companies. The 36 chapters examine special areas in taxation of life insurance companies, corporate reorganizations involving life insurance companies, taxable acquisitions of life insurance companies, taxation of foreign life insurance companies and foreign branches of U.S. life insurance companies, and much more.
Key features and recent updates include discussion of Pub. L. No. 115-97 (informally known as the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017) and provisions specifically targeted at life insurance companies, including, among other things:
• Changes to the tax reserve calculations in IRC Section 807 that were made to accommodate principle-based reserves.
• Changes to the proration rules that eliminate the complex calculations under prior-law IRC Section 812 for purposes of determining the company’s share and policyholders’ share.
• Changes to the capitalization rules for policy acquisition expenses that increase the proxy capitalization percentage applied to net premiums and lengthen the amortization period.
• The repeal of the small life insurance company deduction.
• The repeal of the operations loss deduction in IRC Section 810 and its replacement with the net operating loss rules in IRC Section 172 applicable to other corporations.
• The change to the provisions in IRC Section 807(f) regarding changes in basis of determining reserves, eliminating the 10-year spread and treating such changes as automatic consent changes under IRC Section 481.
• Some of the more significant general changes to the Internal Revenue Code, including, among other things, repeal of the corporate alternative minimum tax; the base erosion anti-avoidance tax in new IRC Section 59A; the participation exemption system dividend deduction in new IRC Section 245A designed to move the U.S. more toward a territorial tax system; the transition tax under IRC Section 965 and related effects on the foreign tax credit.
This pub also includes legislative changes and IRS rulings, tax-planning suggestions and hypothetical examples.
First published in 1983.
3 Volumes; Loose-leaf; updated annually.
eBooks, CDs, downloadable content, and software purchases are non-cancellable, nonrefundable and nonreturnable. Click here for more information about LexisNexis eBooks. The eBook versions of this title may feature links to Lexis Advance® for further legal research options. A valid subscription to Lexis Advance® is required to access this content.
Table of Contents
PART I: OVERVIEW AND HISTORY
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Overview of Life Insurance Company Taxation
Chapter 3: History of the Taxation of Life Insurance Companies
PART II: DEFINITION OF A LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY AND LIFE INSURANCE RESERVES
Chapter 4: Definition of a Life Insurance Company
Chapter 5: Life Insurance Reserves--Basics
Chapter 6: Life Insurance Reserves-Tax Treatment
Chapter 6A: Computation of Tax Reserves
PART III: SYSTEM OF TAXATION OF LIFE INSURANCE COMPANIES
Chapter 7: Tax Rates and Tax Credits
Chapter 8: Life Insurance Company Taxable Income
Chapter 9: Small Life Insurance Company Deduction
Chapter 9A: Differential Earnings Amount for Mutual Life Insurance Companies
Chapter 10: Proration
Chapter 11: Shareholders and Policyholders Surplus Accounts (Phase III)
PART IV: SPECIAL AREAS IN TAXATION OF LIFE INSURANCE COMPANIES
Chapter 12: Operations Loss Deduction
Chapter 13: Capital Gains and Losses
Chapter 14: Reinsurance
Chapter 15: Accounting Methods
Chapter 16: Consolidated Returns
Chapter 17: Variable Contracts and Separate Accounts
Chapter 18: Taxation of Foreign Life Insurance Companies and Foreign Branches of U.S. Life Insurance Companies
Chapter 19: Reserved
PART V: CORPORATE REORGANIZATIONS INVOLVING LIFE INSURANCE COMPANIES
Chapter 20: Corporate Reorganizations—Overview
Chapter 21: Acquisitive Reorganizations
Chapter 22: Type D Reorganizations and Corporate Divisions
Chapter 23: Type E and Type F Reorganizations
Chapter 24: Save the Charter Transactions
Chapter 25: Corporate Formations
Chapter 26: Holding Company Formation and Termination
Chapter 27: Carryovers in Tax-Free Reorganizations
Chapters 28-29: Reserved
PART VI: TAXABLE ACQUISITIONS OF LIFE INSURANCE COMPANIES
Chapter 30: General Considerations in Taxable Acquisition of Life Insurance Company
Chapter 31: IRC Sections 338 and 338(h)(10) Elections
Chapters 32-39: Reserved
PART VII: TAXATION OF POLICYHOLDER
Chapters 40-45: Reserved
Chapter 46: Life Insurance Contracts and Policyholder Taxation
Chapter 47: Annuities and Policyholder Taxation
PART VIII: NEW PRODUCTS
Chapter 48: Recent Developments in Life Insurance Products
Chapter 49: Reserved
PART IX: REPEALED LAW
Chapter 50: Taxable Investment Income (Phase I) and Gain or Loss From Operations (Phase II) Under the 1959 Act
Chapter 51: Consolidated Returns (Old Law)
Chapter 52: Computation of Tax Reserves (Old Law)
Table of Cases
Table of Statutes and Regulations
Appendix I: Revenue Rulings
Appendix II: Revenue Procedures
Appendix III: Letter Rulings