Hydraulic Fracturing Law and Practice
Select a format
Few areas of energy development or resource extraction have attracted as much public, academic, and legal attention and controversy in recent years as hydraulic fracturing. This treatise is a desk book on the law of hydraulic fracturing, and it covers federal and state statutory and regulatory requirements and certain litigation on this subject.
For ease of use, this book is divided into nine parts:
• Part I provides both an introduction to this topic and a detailed description of the hydraulic fracturing process.
• Part II provides a detailed description of and response to some of the most pressing policy issues currently associated with hydraulic fracturing.
• Part III summarizes the legislative and regulatory requirements that apply to hydraulic fracturing at the federal level.
• Parts IV, V, and VI cover the legislative and regulatory requirements that apply to hydraulic fracturing at the state level, with the individual state chapters grouped by regions (Part IV western, Part V south central, Part VI eastern and southeastern).
• Part VII summarizes the current case law on hydraulic fracturing, including both reported and unreported cases.
• Part VIII offers concluding thoughts on where the law of hydraulic fracturing stands today and how it is likely to evolve in the future.
• Part IX contains charts of federal and state hydraulic fracturing requirements.
Attorneys at three different law firms and several law professors collaborated on this project. Their combined expertise is unmatched by any other book on the subject. Each chapter provides thorough treatment of the topic and also features insightful practice tips, warnings, and timing considerations. In addition, all the state chapters have a convenient resource section setting out contact information for the key governmental agencies, environmental groups, and industry organizations.
Table of Contents
PART I. INTRODUCTION AND OVERVIEW OF HYDRAULIC FRACTURING PROCESS
Chapter 1 Introduction
Chapter 2 Hydraulic Fracturing Fundamentals
PART II. POLICY ISSUES
Chapter 3 Policy Issues Associated with Hydraulic Fracturing
PART III. FEDERAL LEGISLATION AND REGULATION
Chapter 4 Federal Legislation and Regulation of Hydraulic Fracking (Onshore and Offshore)
PART IV. STATE LEGISLATION AND REGULATION: WESTERN USA
Chapter 5 Alaska
Chapter 6 Arizona
Chapter 7 California
Chapter 8 Colorado
Chapter 9 Idaho
Chapter 10 Kansas
Chapter 11 Montana
Chapter 12 Nebraska
Chapter 13 Nevada
Chapter 14 New Mexico
Chapter 15 North Dakota
Chapter 16 Oregon
Chapter 17 South Dakota
Chapter 18 Utah
Chapter 19 Washington
Chapter 20 Wyoming
PART V. STATE LEGISLATION AND REGULATION: SOUTH CENTRAL USA
Chapter 21 Arkansas
Chapter 22 Louisiana
Chapter 23 Oklahoma
Chapter 24 Texas
PART VI. STATE LEGISLATION AND REGULATION: EASTERN AND SOUTHEASTERN USA
Chapter 25 Alabama
Chapter 26 Florida
Chapter 27 Illinois
Chapter 28 Kentucky
Chapter 29 Michigan
Chapter 30 Mississippi
Chapter 31 New York
Chapter 32 [Reserved]
Chapter 33 Ohio
Chapter 34 Pennsylvania
Chapter 35 West Virginia
PART VII. LITIGATION
Chapter 36 Significant Litigation Involving Hydraulic Fracturing
PART VIII. CONCLUSION
Chapter 37 Conclusion
PART IX. APPENDIX
Appendix A Table of Federal Regulations
Appendix B Table of State Regulations