School Law (Non-members)
Select a format
Select subscription type
Terms & conditions
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked "CANCEL".
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
If you are a NYSSBA member and would like to purchase this book, click here.
The authoritative volume on education law in New York, School Law has been a trusted and valuable resource for New York education professionals and attorneys for over 75 years. Created by the New York State School Boards Association and New York State Bar Association in cooperation with LexisNexis, this volume presents a broad spectrum of education law issues in a unique question-and-answer format. Accessible yet authoritative, it is the premiere legal resource that addresses education issues and concerns for school board members, administrators, educators, and school attorneys, and is also a popular reference for educators nationwide.
This newest edition of School Law has been fully revised and expanded to include all the recent legislative changes that you'll need to stay informed.
School Law, 38th Edition, includes:
- Authoritative answers to 2,000+ questions
- Summaries of significant new statutes and legislative changes awaiting action by the Governor
- Discussions of recent case law updates and state regulations
Learn more about the companion title, New York Education Laws, by clicking here.
The ISBN for the 37th Edition was 9781522163831.
Visit our Education Law page for additional resources specifically designed for administrators, school board members, attorneys, principals and teachers.
eBooks, CDs, downloadable content, and software purchases are non-cancellable, nonrefundable and nonreturnable. Click here for more information about LexisNexis eBooks. The eBook versions of this title may feature links to Lexis+™ or Lexis® service for further legal research options. A valid subscription to Lexis+ or Lexis is required to access this content.
Table of contents
General Information and Abbreviations
New Statutory and Regulatory Law Overview
State Statutory Changes Awaiting Action by the Governor
The Board of Regents and State Regulations
New Case Law
The New York State School System - Structural Overview
1. Public Education - Governance Framework
2. School District Reorganization
3. Charter Schools
4. Nonpublic Schools
Public School Governance
5. School Boards
6. School Board Members
7. Boards of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES)
8. School District Officers
9. School District Administrators
10. The Superintendent of Schools
11. The District (BOCES) Superintendent
13. Confidentiality of School Records
14. School Board Meetings
Annual and Special School District Meetings
15. School District Meetings
16. School District Voters
17. The Voting Process
Public School Finances
18. The School Budget
19. School Budget Development and Adoption
20. Contingency Budgets
21. School Tax Assessments
22. School Tax Collection
23. State Aid
24. The BOCES Budget
25. Basic Fiscal Management Responsibilities
26. Reserve and Charitable Funds
28. Purchasing of Materials and Services
Public School Staff
29. School Building Principals
30. Teachers - Employment Qualifications and Compensation
31. Teachers - Certification Requirements.
32. Teachers - General Rights and Responsibilities
33. Teachers - Tenure and Seniority
34. Teachers - Probationary Appointments and the Granting of Tenure
35. Teacher and School Leader Certificate Registration and Continuing Education Requirements
36. Teachers - Abolition of Positions and Excessing
37. Teacher and Principal Performance Evaluations
38. Discipline and Termination of Tenured Teachers and Administrators
39. Non-Instructional Employees
40. Coaches and Athletic Trainers
41. Fingerprinting Requirements
Employee Constitutional, Leave and Retirement Rights
42. Employee Constitutional Rights
43. Employee Statutory Leave Rights
44. Retirement Rights and Benefits
Employee Contractual Relations
45. Contracts of Employment
46. Collective Bargaining - The Taylor Law
47. The Collective Bargaining Process
48. Students - School Attendance
49. Student Enrollment Rules
50. Student Health and Welfare
51. Student Safety
52. Student Discipline
53. Student Constitutional Rights
54. Students with Disabilities
Instruction, Curricula and Student Achievement
55. Instruction and Curricula
56. Student Performance Accountability
57. Transportation of Public School Students
58. Transportation of Nonpublic School Students
59. School Buses
60. School Bus Drivers, Monitors and Attendants
Public School Facilities
61. Buildings and Grounds
62. Building Safety
63. Hazardous Materials and Toxic Substances
64. School Facilities - Use and Conduct
65. Religion in Public Schools
Liability and Litigation
66. School District and Board Liability
67. Negligence Liability
68. Section 1983 Liability
69. Employment Discrimination
70. Defense and Indemnification
71. Insurance Protection