Tax Controversies: Practice and Procedure, Third Edition (2009)
Select a format
To purchase a printed version of this title, please visit www.caplaw.com.
View or download the free 2015 Online Supplement for this product.This casebook teaches the mechanics of tax procedure, while stimulating students to think about the broader issues that underlie its structural framework. This edition of Tax Controversies: Practice and Procedure begins with an overview of civil tax procedure and an in-depth discussion of the federal tax gap and the many approaches to closing it. Several of the next chapters focus on stages in the chronology of a typical tax controversy, from examination through eventual litigation. In addition, two chapters focus on tax research and representing tax clients and a new chapter addresses ethics issues in tax cases. An underlying theme - the extent to which the current procedural rules encourage or discourage voluntary compliance with the federal tax system - runs throughout the book.
• Suitable for J.D. or LL.M. students, or for use in a tax clinic.
• This edition contains new chapters on summons enforcement, the U.S. Tax Court, the collection due process procedures, “innocent spouse” relief, and ethics issues.
• Each casebook chapter includes theory questions and a set of fact-based problems to encourage strategic thinking. Several chapters include optional drafting problems.
• Teacher’s Manual provides detailed answers to the problem sets, suggests approaches to the material, and highlights topics more suitable for an advanced course.
• Separate Documents Volume, Tax Controversies: Statutes, Regulations, and Other Materials, is also available.
• Supporting Web site at www.taxtexts.com/controversies.htm
Professors and adjunct professors may request complimentary examination copies of LexisNexis law school publications to consider for class adoption or recommendation. Please identify the book(s) you wish to receive, provide your institutional contact information, and submit your request here.
This book also is available in a heavily discounted, three-hole punched, alternative loose-leaf version printed on 8 ½ x 11 inch paper with wider margins and with the same pagination as the hardbound book.