Let the Sunshine In: A Guide to Understanding FOIA
Duration: 62 minutes
The Freedom of Information Act provides access to information that may be otherwise unavailable. This course provides an overview of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and strategies for making effective and efficient FOIA requests. This course also examines policy and Executive Branch directives to government agencies processing Freedom of Information Act Requests, surveys the nine FOIA exemptions, and explores FOIA request fees and fee waivers. Finally, this course examines recent Supreme Court decisions impacting FOIA, and reviews best practices for FOIA requests.
This CLE also focuses on effective strategies for making efficient FOIA requests that get you the information you need quickly. It presents vital background information, in addition to step-by-step tips on making FOIA requests.
This class has five major learning objectives:
- Examine policy and Executive Branch directives to government agencies processing Freedom of Information Act requests
- Provide an overview of the Freedom of Information Act and making a FOIA request
- Survey the nine FOIA exemptions
- Explore FOIA request fees and fee waiver availability
- Review best practices for FOIA requests
Purchase entitles a single end-user to register for a single continuing education class. Each additional user or class requires additional purchase. For subscriptions, bulk or volume purchases, contact your LexisNexis account representative or call 877-394-8826.