Littler Mendelson on Employment Law Class Actions
Select a format
Written by the attorneys of Littler's Class Action Practice Group, Employment Law Class Actions provides a comprehensive review of the strategic, procedural and legal issues that arise in such matters.
The Third Edition includes an extensive expansion and reorganization of the publication and features a host of new and significant developments in this ever changing area of law, including:
- A comprehensive update of significant case law.
- An expansive discussion of the Supreme Court's decision in Dukes v. Wal-Mart and its impact on class actions.
- New issues and developments in FLSA collective actions and California state law wage and hour class actions (which currently comprise approximately 90% of all employment class actions filed).
- A new chapter covering issues related to e-discovery.
- Discussion of unique issues regarding the CAFA appeals process.
- New developments regarding EEOC pattern and practice cases.
- Emerging trends in standards of admissibility of expert testimony regarding class certification; the role of statistical, anecdotal, and social science evidence; and application of the Daubert standard post-Dukes.
- Further evolution of case law regarding enforceability of arbitration agreements in class and collective actions and the validity of class action waivers (including U.S. Supreme Court's decision in AT&T Mobility v. Concepcion and the NLRB's decision in D.R. Horton).
- Developments in pre-certification communication with potential class members and other pre-certification discovery issues.
- Recent developments in California class actions under the Private Attorneys General Act.
Table of Contents
CHAPTER 2-ARBITRATION AGREEMENTS IN CLASS OR COLLECTIVE ACTIONS
CHAPTER 3-THE CLASS ACTION FAIRNESS ACT
CHAPTER 4-DEFENSES & RESPONSES TO THE PLEADINGS
CHAPTER 5-GENERAL DISCOVERY ISSUES
CHAPTER 6-E-DISCOVERY ISSUES
CHAPTER 7-PRE-CERTIFICATION MOTIONS FOR SUMMARY JUDGMENT
CHAPTER 8-EXPERT EVIDENCE & CLASS ACTIONS
CHAPTER 9-CLASS CERTIFICATION UNDER RULE 23
CHAPTER 10-THE FLSA & SECTION 216(B) COLLECTIVE ACTIONS
CHAPTER 11-CLASS ACTIONS UNDER CALIFORNIA LAW
CHAPTER 12-NOTICE OF CLASS CERTIFICATION
CHAPTER 13-SETTLING CLASS ACTIONS
CHAPTER 14-REDUCING THE RISK OF CLASS & COLLECTIVE ACTIONS