Law, Policy, and Higher Education
Select a format
To purchase a printed version of this title, please visit www.caplaw.com.
Law, Policy and Higher Education fills a gap in the market for casebooks on higher education law, as the materials presented lend themselves to timely and important discussions of both law and policy issues.
• Chapters 1 and 2 provide an overview of higher education with respect to the laws and policies that shape its roles and responsibilities in society.
• Chapters 3 and 4 examine the college's employment relationship with faculty and staff.
• Chapters 5, 6, and 7 explore the rights and responsibilities of students.
• Chapter 8 addresses how the university affects and is affected by the intercollegiate athletic enterprise.
• Chapters 9, 10, and 11 present the influence and impact of government regulations as well as higher education's efforts to shape policies that further institutional aims, and manage university resources.
• Chapter 12 addresses issues of intellectual property, especially involving faculty, but with an eye on public/private partnerships, ownership, and commercialization of research.
• Chapter 13 presents an example of persons with special needs, a largely overlooked and underserved population within the university.
A Teacher's Manual is available to professors.
Professors and adjunct professors may request complimentary examination copies of LexisNexis law school publications to consider for class adoption or recommendation. Please identify the book(s) you wish to receive, provide your institutional contact information, and submit your request here.
This book also is available in a heavily discounted, three-hole punched, alternative loose-leaf version printed on 8 ½ x 11 inch paper with wider margins and with the same pagination as the hardbound book.
Table of Contents
Chapter I HISTORY OF HIGHER EDUCATION IN THE UNITED
Chapter II COLLEGE GOVERNANCE AND LIABILITY
Chapter III EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIPS
Chapter IV FACULTY RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Chapter V COLLEGE-STUDENT RELATIONSHIP
Chapter VI STUDENT FREE EXPRESSION
Chapter VII STUDENT RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Chapter VIII INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS
Chapter IX FEDERAL FUNDING AND REGULATION
Chapter X STATE & LOCAL GOVERNMENTS
Chapter XI INSTITUTIONAL AND ACADEMIC PROGRAM INTEGRITY
Chapter XII INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND
Chapter XIII INSTITUTIONAL TREATMENT OF INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES