Learning Law Through Experience and By Design
This workbook enables faculty to design experiential courses for law students, using the process commonly known as backward design. The workbook walks the user step-by-step from goal to course outcomes to teaching activities, and it provides user-friendly worksheets to guide the design. The authors also provide the design maps for their own courses, with process notes, to illustrate the Experiential Learning Design process in action. The workbook helps faculty to situate their courses within a broader law school or experiential curriculum and to connect their courses as appropriate with their schools’ and the ABA’s JD program outcomes.
Whether your focus is social justice lawyering, skills, ethics, and/or substantive knowledge, this book will guide you in designing a course that turns your teaching goals into learning outcomes. This book provides a model for creating an effective, intentionally designed instructional path for your experiential learning course, including helping you to identify the intellectual home for your course, learning goals, final assessment, evaluation rubric, and learning outcomes. Learning Law through Experience and by Design covers the following topics in detail:
- Chapter 1: Your Experiential Course and the ABA Standards
- Chapter 2: Using the Experiential Learning Design Process
- Chapter 3: The Big Picture: What Is the Point of Your Course?
- Chapter 4: The Course Goal: What Do You Want Your Students to Learn?
- Chapter 5: The Final Assessment: How Do You Know That Your Students Learned? (Includes Appendix 5-A, Mapping Evidence of Student Mastery)
- Chapter 6: Rubrics: How Do You Gauge the Level of a Student’s Proficiency? (Includes Appendix 6-A, Facets of Understanding: Progressive Levels of Performance)
- Chapter 7: Course Outcomes and Learning Activities: What Will Happen in Your Classroom? (Includes Appendix 7-A, Samples of Experiential Learning Activities, and Appendix 7-B, Sample of Course Syllabus)
- Chapter 8: Course Exemplars
- Chapter 9: Worksheet Templates